Recipe of the Month: Pavlova Meringue Cake
Pavlova is aptly named after the world-class ballerina, Anna Pavlova for the delicacy, elegance and grace shared by both.
The dessert is meringue-based with a crisp crust and soft, light inside, often topped with fruit and whipped cream and serves 6 guests. Pavlova is the ideal treat to have during your special events, weddings, banquets and gala dinners at Champa Central Hotel.
Here is how each elegant meringue dessert is prepared for you to enjoy:
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 large egg whites
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- ⅓ cup store-bought lemon curd, for serving
- 2 cups mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, halved blackberries, sliced strawberries), for serving
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. With a marker, mark a 7-inch circle on a piece of parchment paper. Flip the parchment over and place on a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the egg whites with a pinch of salt and beat with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form. Add 3 tablespoons water and keep beating until you get soft peaks again.
- Increase the mixer speed to high. Add the sugar mixture 1 tablespoon at a time and continue to beat for 1 minute. Add the vinegar and beat until the meringue is glossy and holds stiff peaks, about 5 minutes.
- Spread the meringue inside the marked circle on the parchment, making the edges slightly higher than the inside of the circle (it should look like a "crater"). Bake until the meringue is pale golden and has a crust, about 45 minutes; the inside should still be marshmallow-like. Turn off the oven, prop the door open and let the meringue dry for 1 hour.
- To serve, place the Pavlova on a serving dish. Spread the inside of the crater with a thin layer of lemon curd. Top with berries and serve.
Pavlova is available at Champa Central Hotel as an addition to the menu for your special events. Book our spacious and modern venues for any occasion today!